On Wednesday evening Slikour On Life held their second annual ‘Verse Of The Year’ award ceremony at the Wits Club. The whole experience was creating to show love to lyricism within SA hip hop, which is an art that still exists and is of course still appreciated. The night did of course consist of award giving that out a spotlight on the top 10 South African Hip Hop Verses of 2018 according to Slikour On Life & Stogie T (who played a huge role in the creation of the event).
The night was quite electric as the award givers counted down the list of winners. Nasty C took the ultimate award for his verse on Boity’s ‘Wuz Dat?’ single. The best verses were decided by a panel of judges that included Stogie, SA hip hop veteran Zubz, Mercia (writer and editor of The Plug) and OkayAfrica staff writer Sabelo Mkhabela.
Peep the full list of winners below:
- Laylizzy for ‘TXI’
- Zakwe for his verse on ‘Sebentin Remix’
- Jovislash for ‘The Dagga Song’
- Ginger Trill for ‘The High End Freestyle’
- Captain for his verse on Bona V’s ‘The ReUp’
- Reason for his verse on DJ Kaygo’s ‘Father Figure’
- Kid Tini for ‘Movie’
- A-Reece for ‘Couldn’t Have Said It Better Myself Pt.’ 2
- Kwesta for his verse on DJ Sliqe’s ‘Biskop’
- Nasty C for his verse on Boity’s ‘Wuz Dat?’
It was Touchline that stole the show when he scooped the ‘Hennessy People’s Choice Award’ for his ‘5 Grand’ verse. The award winner even ended his speech with some young bars as a tribute to what the whole ceremony stood for. This is what SA hip hop needs right, a space that still maintains the core values of hip hop and what it stands for. S/O to Slikour On Life for an awesome experience that conclude with some lit performances from Priddy Ugly and Rouge.