The South African HIP-HOP Awards (SAHHA) are an annual Hip Hop award ceremony, run by the Ritual Media Group (RMG). Winners receive a statue that is called a Pyramid. The award ceremony this year will be held on the 21st of November 2012. Contenders are judged on performances and achievements made between November the previous year and August the following year. The show is to be held at the Alex Theater in Braamfontein and prerecorded for Web and DVD release. The ceremony features live performances by some of the nominees.
Nominations are made in reference to an album release and track record of a group or individual
• Album of the Year is awarded to the performer and the production team of an album released in the previous cycle, in this case 12 months.
• Song of the Year is awarded to a performer with reference to an album released in the previous cycle.
• Newcomer of the Year is awarded to an artist with reference to an album or mix-tape released in the previous cycle. These materials should be new in the sense of first time releasing.
• Female Artist of the Year is awarded to a female artist with reference to an album released in the previous cycle.
• Male Artist of the Year is awarded to a male artist with reference to an album released in the previous cycle.
Entries are open to any recording artist, director, producer, event organisers, dance crews or engineers who meet the following requirements:
• Must have South African citizenship or permanent residency in South Africa of six months or more.
-50% ownership of the master recording of the entry, in the event that the rest is owned by a non- South African entity.
-50% of the members belonging to duos or groups must also comply with the aforementioned criteria.
-Ritual Media Group reserves the right to request proof that all artists, producers or any individual meet the set requirements.
• In certain categories, collaborations between qualifying artists and international artists are allowed, given that the South African qualifying artist’s participation is of equal billing.
• All material submitted for the 1st Annual SA Hip Hop Awards, must have been commercially released or the individuals should be active for the past 12 months i.e. cd available on the South African market during the entry period or been doing events for the past eleven months.